Book Review: Finding your way by Drake Taylor
Title: Finding your Way
Author: Drake Taylor
Genre: Self help, Motivation
2020 has been hard on everyone. It has taken real courage and patience to deal with the adversities. For some, the negatives have been way too much; resulting in depression or even worse; self harm. Although I am not a person to fall victim to such things, but the past 10 months have really been trying; to say the least. This is when I found to this book to start 2021 on a fresh note. The author has done an incredible jo in helping us all. It's a quick read and we all should go through it because it's such a great motivational book.
Following are the main takeaways that I noted and would help you too.
- Life is not all magic as television and books.
- It's more like a horror movie that we feel is not real
- Sometimes the hardest thing isn't to begin the journey, but to accept why you must begin the journey.
- You have to accept the responsibility. You will not change your life or rid yourself of the pain unless you accept your own fault.
- Use every waking moment to focus on getting better.
- Don't give yourself free time to think and wallow in self pity
- Create a schedule, create some goals for yourself, improve upon yourself. Become a better version of current you. You need to have a strong mindset.
- Napoleon Hill: Positive and negative thoughts cannot occupy the mind at the same time.
- Stop making excuses. Stop blaming others. They don't control me. It is not going to fix our lives.
- Learn as much as you can for the one thing in this life they can never take away from you is your mind.
- Spend some time everyday doing something that you believe cobtributes to growing your mind and /or improving your health. Within a few weeks it will become a habit that you love doing.
- Our mindset determines how each and every one of us live our life.
- Everything you want out of life, lies with that first step of getting out of bed each day. Each day you stay in bed, you slowly killing your dreams or put them further out of your reach.
- Your perception of me is a reflection of you. The version of me you created in your mind is not my responsibility.
- Whatever changes you want to make, this is a good time to rethink your goals and plans. Don't feel any shame or worry that your first set of plans didn't work out perfectly.
- Making and setting SMART goals: Smart: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time Bound
- You must tell yourself that you will never fall back down. You are eager to become a totally functional human being who finds purpose and meaning in life, no matter what happens to you in future.
- Forgiveness isn't merely to allow the other person to move on from wrongdoing. It is to allow you freedom from hanging on to negative emotions, so you can live your best life.
- Holding onto hate is like holding onto a hot coal; the only person you burn is you.
These pointers have kind of become a blueprint for a better life. I hope this helps you as much as it did to me. Stay happy, stay safe.