My Iron Rich recipe: Oats Almonds Cake

 Let me start by declaring that I am not a MasterChef. My wife will vouch for that! But I am a sporadic cook who loves to whip up something on and off. Having said that let me tell you that although I rarely cook, I cook well! Also I try to cook healthy. My cooking teacher is of course my wife.
So today I plan to share with you a favorite recipe of me as well as my family. Oats almond cake. It's a great accompaniment with both tea or coffee. It's not only very healthily delicious but also  rich in iron.
My ideal morning: A cup of coffee with slices of Oats Almonds Cake, newspaper and a travel book!

Speaking of Iron rich food, it's indeed sad to see the level of Iron deficiency anaemia in India. Being a surgeon, I am daily ordering for extra units of blood during surgery. Indian women hardly ever have their Haemoglobin levels above 12mg  Also the economic strata of the people seldom plays any role in Iron deficiency. Females of well off families too are found to be iron deficient. Although we can blindly declare that all females in the reproductive age in the lower economic strata are anaemic.
So what should we do? The number of casualties during labor because of iron deficiency anaemia HAS to come down. We have to encourage the right diet, intake of iron supplements as well as regular monitoring of Haemoglobin levels. We have to eradicate iron deficiency anaemia. Livogen is doing an excellent job in this field. Enough lecture for now, let me get back to my nutritional recipe.

Oats Almond Cake

Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes

Ingredients


1 banana
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup milk
1 egg
A handful of raisins
A handful of almonds


Transfer the milk and oats into a large bowl. Crack an egg. Peel the banana and chop it in half. Mix the ingredients with a spoon.


You can use a hand blender or a mixer to blend the mixture till it has a smooth consistency.

Now chop the raisins and almonds into small pieces. Mix the minced dry fruits into the mixture.

Remember that I don't add extra sugar and my family loves it this way. The sweetness of banana and the pieces of raisin in every bite nullifies the need for any extra sugar. However if you have an extra sweet tooth, you can add sugar to the mixture before blending according to your taste. Or you can also add honey!


Transfer the contents into a microwave safe bowl.


Microwave on high for 5 mins.


Wait for a couple of minutes before serving.


Slice it and serve it with coffee or tea. Isn't this very simple?


Benefits of Oats Almond Cake:
Since it is made of oats, it's rich in fibre and iron.
Almonds also have Omega three fatty acid.
Banana is an excellent source of nutrients like potassium and Folic acid. Again, a rich source of fibre.
The cake has absolutely no added sugar but still sweet.
Raisins are a good source of Vitamin B, iron and potassium.

Now something for my readers.

Livogen (The number 1 Iron Supplement) is also running an iron rich recipe making contest for all my friends, readers and fans - So if you have a unique Iron rich recipe, participate in the Iron Chef contest and you can stand a chance to get featured in Femina, the leading women’s magazine, as a Celeb Chef. Top 3 will also win vouchers worth Rs. 20,000 and the next 7 will win vouchers worth Rs. 5,000.

So what is your Iron rich recipe?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Effect of COVID 19 on edible oil industry and Palm oil

SCHIPHOL AIRPORT TO AMSTERDAM CITY

A day in my life in Bewakoof.com Joggers and T-shirt